Title: Director of Development & Communication
Reports to: Pastor
Job Status: Full Time
The Director of Development & Communication is the chief fundraising staff member for Holy Spirit Catholic Church, School, and Educational Foundation. In collaboration with the Business Manager, Pastor, Principal, and Development Committee, this position plans and coordinates all fundraising strategies and maintains a comprehensive institutional advancement program serving the mission of Holy Spirit Parish and School.
The Director of Development & Communication is responsible for implementing and overseeing all fundraising initiatives including but not limited to regular monthly and annual giving, major gifts, and planned giving. This position facilitates the identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospective donors. This Director manages and oversees the use of fundraising software, analyzes and reports data, and participates in the design and execution of special events.
The Director of Development & Communication maintains an active donor recognition program to assure accountability and extends relationships with funders. More broadly, this position works to promote a faith-based donor-centered culture of philanthropy throughout the parish and school community.
The Director of Development & Communication oversees and collaborates with the Communication Coordinator to create, implement, and maintain all social media accounts, websites, and printed and electronic media.
Holy Spirit Catholic Church is a community of approximately 1,500 families with a school of about 300 preschool – eighth grade students, and a Foundation with $5 million in assets. The parish has 64 full and part-time employees and a very active volunteer base. The campus is in the desirable and growing northwest section of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Actively work on a comprehensive development plan for the cultivation and solicitation of support for Holy Spirit Church, School, and Educational Foundation
- Identify, cultivate, communicate with, and solicit or, when applicable, coordinate the solicitation of prospective donors, including individuals, foundations, and corporate entities
- Maintain donor relationships at all levels and works to raise the giving levels of all donors
- Develop, implement, and manage a planned giving program, providing mechanisms for bequests, charitable trusts, and endowments. Candidate does not need to be an expert on these vehicles but does need to be conversant and able to provide appropriate direction when these possibilities are evident.
- Work to ensure fundraising policies and procedures are followed
- Oversee the gift giving process, donor acknowledgment, and donor recognition
- Collaborate with Pastor, Parish Business Manager, Principal, and Development Committee members in strategic development of the program
- Provide guidance and coordinate parish leadership, volunteers, and teachers in implementation and execution of fundraising initiatives and activities
- Responsible for the annual operating budget of the Development Office and report to the Pastor and Development Committee on outcomes
- Set the annual calendar for all fundraising events alongside parish/school organizations
- Ensure comprehensive, accurate constituent, donor and prospective donor records
- Generate financial reports regarding gifts, grants, and pledges; conduct analysis in the service of data driven decision making and action
- Act as primary liaison to the Development Committee on Finance Council
- Oversee Communication Coordinator position to maintain all social media accounts and create the parish weekly bulletin
- Create and help implement a communication calendar for the parish, considering parish ministry and school schedules
- Monitor and maintain parish and school websites for updates and changes
- Create and execute an electronic newsletter
- Develop and implement cost-effective marketing and outreach strategies to communicate with a range of constituencies through printed and electronic media
- Create, write, edit, and produce publications, videos, exhibits, and printed materials
- Work with church and school groups to ensure proper branding guidelines are followed
Position is full time (40 hours per week). Night and weekend hours will be required throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three to five years of development experience preferred and demonstrated record of success in fundraising, including the ability to solicit and close major gifts
- Catholic in good standing with a solid knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the Catholic Church, its teachings and culture. It is expected that the candidate accepting this position is or will become an active parishioner at Holy Spirit Church.
- Charisma for building relationships with administrators, employees, parishioners, and community members
- Ability to turn conversations into commitments
- Ability to take on responsibility and possession of a strong work ethic
- Work effectively both independently as well as in a team
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain clear, accurate records and to prepare accurate and timely reports
- Willingness and ability to travel locally
- Organized with attention to detail, strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret data
- Maintains strict confidentiality
Holy Spirit offers a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, which includes health, life, disability, retirement, paid vacation, and tuition discounts at Holy Spirit School.
Qualified applicants must provide a cover letter and resume to Fr. Mark Peacock via email to email@example.com.