The Frank Diehl Memorial Blood Drive
Frank Diehl and his family are long time members of the Holy Spirit Parish community. Frank and his wife Michele were regular volunteers for many HS activities & fund raisers. Frank was a member of the HS choir and was one of the original members of the HS Men’s “Next Step” Bible study. Next to singing in the choir, Frank enjoyed being a “regular” donor of our Holy Spirit blood drive. The thought of having such an opportunity to “really be Christ” by giving up his own blood to literally save others drew him to participate in this activity every eight weeks.
Interestingly, Frank was told during a pre-screening the last time he attempted to donate blood that his iron was extremely low and he should see his doctor to have further tests done. Within a month, Frank was diagnosed with Stage IV Colon Cancer which had already spread to both lobes of his liver. In spite of all his pain and suffering, Frank maintained a cheerful and positive attitude. To this day, Frank will always remain an inspiration and role model to all those who he ever had an encounter with. To honor Frank and his memory we decided to name our blood drive; The Frank Diehl Memorial Blood Drive
Why give blood? Mk 14:12-16, 22-26
- To save lives: Someone needs blood every 2 seconds, one blood donation could save up to 3 lives
- To share in Jesus passion: Christ’s gave all his blood to save us, why not give a pint of yours to save others
- Several health benefits: Visit https://drhealthbenefits.com for more information.
Who can give blood: Anyone who weighs at least 112 lbs and is 17 y/o or older, or 16 y/o with parental consent.
Where: Activity Center (Gym)
When: 7:30 am until 1:15 pm on the following dates:
- 2022: Nov 20
- 2023: Jan 15, Mar 26, May 21, July 23, Sept 24, Nov 19
How: Plan ahead, register early! (Pre-registration is critical to assure adequate MiBlood staffing the day of blood drive.)
- Working around the mass you typically attend, decide on the specific times you wish to donate for each date.
- Plan on the entire process taking about 45 mins to 1 hour
- Options for registering
- On line: Versiti Blood Drive at Holy Spirit
- By phone: Versiti, 1-866-642-5663
- Provide your name
- Inform them you want to give at the Parish of the Holy Spirit
- State specific date & time you want to give
Day of donating
- Eat a hearty breakfast & drink 2-3 cups of water that morning
- Bring photo ID
- Arrive at least 5 minutes before your prescheduled appointment
- Complete the pre-screening process
While donating: Relax in nice comfortable lounge chair while listening to soothing music
- Sit and relax for 15 minutes enjoying a light breakfast or snack while enjoying parishioners company
- Take it easy for the next 48 hours while your body replaces the blood
Ten of 56 facts about blood and blood donation: (To see all 56 facts visit www.miblood.org)
- More than 4.5 million patients need blood transfusion each rear in the US & Canada
- Each day 43,000 units of donated blood are used in the US and Canada
- Someone needs blood every 2 seconds
- One blood donation can save up to 3 lives
- The average Michigan Blood donor gives less than twice a year. If all blood donors gave three times a year, blood shortages would be rare
- If just 1% more Americans would give blood, blood shortages would disappear from the foreseeable future
- Donating blood burns 650 calories
- Every time you donate blood you get a free mini physical
- Blood drives hosted by companies, schools, churches and civic organizations supply 70% of all Michigan Blood donations
- Seventeen percent of people who don’t give blood cite “never thought about it” as main reason for not donating, while 5 percent say they’re “too busy.”
If you have any questions please contact Diane West, HS Blood Drive Coordinator – 616-634-6018.